Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Silverwood

-1000 years ago- A cold chill hung in the air like a blanket. Fog hugged the earth, the moon was just visible though the thick clouds that obscured it. The dark, deep night absorbed any light that was sent its way. The crack of a whip broke the silence like shattered glass. "Sir, the war...has started."

    -Silverwood- 

    Hushed sounds came from the towns people. Rumors spread like wildfire in the dead heat of August, and this was no more than that, or so I thought. The mayor stepped up to speak, and like magic, the crowd quieted down. "Thank you, friends. I have some news, startling at that", a feminine voice boomed out. Mayor Loudry, though she was more like a queen to her people. She united three war stricken cities, and created a three city megalopolis, The cities of Loudry (from which was renamed for the Mayor), Masiu, and Silverwood city. "the war that started over 1000 years ago has been rekindled. The embers of murderous fighting have came to our peaceful land. Cavina has officially entered the war." Gasps echoed though the crowd, anything from whispers to shouts could be heard. 


    "NOW HOLD ON!" The mayors voice said. The shouts turned into a dull whisper. "Thank you, there taking all able bodies, please." Loudry said. Loudry stepped down, and, both her friend and manager of affairs stepped up. "Now who will stand up for there country, there nation, the place they call home. To fight for both friends and strangers, who will be in debt to you for the fight?" He said. Matt Gorden was his name, and was the (for the most part) unseen part of the mayors success story. "I will." A young man said, standing up. "I shall as well!" A 30 or so woman said. Soon enough there were over 90 people to be in the army. I sighed, able bodies, not me. I was only a slave, part human, part animal. "KEITH!" My master. 

    "Yes sir?" I asked. Born and raised in Silverwood; I could speak English fluently. "I'll be leaving, I'm leaving you incharge of the house. Your the one the damn slave who have never tried to escape, and has never tried to kill me." He said. Slave. Only becouse I was part wolf. A wave of emotions flowed over me. He held out his hand, and in it was a key. My heart jumped. Was he really offering my the key to his house? "...and Keith, you know what this means, your free after this." I nodded, taking the key. There was an odd sort of feeling in me, a mix of emotions, 

    Master called a cart, and I got on. "Oh don't be stupid Keith, you know your riding up here." Lissa's voice called. Lissa, Masters daughter, and the only one who had ever shown respect to me. I nodded no, I'd much rather be with my friends. I sat down, straw and hay surrounded me. Suddenly, something pounced on me. "LEE! GET OFF!!!!" I cried in my native language of Yina. "Aww, party pooper." "If you say so, Le--" I said, before Lee saw the key dangling around my neck--I had put it on a string, and hung it there. "Oh...your...leaving...bu...I...w...I...I'LL MISS YOU!!!" Lee cried out. What was amazing is that Lee didn't really see anything--he was blind--but his olfactory seines were that of legend.

    "Don't worry, Lee. Who said I wanted to go anywhere?" I said, although I did want to leave the living hell I was kept in. "So...so your not goin...going anywhere!?" He asked me. I nodded. "Lee, I'd never leave you." I said, hugging him. That much was true. Lee and I had grown up together, and I'd never go anywhere without him. The cart lurched forward. Tonight. A thought occurred to me, master would be gone, I'd have the key. 

    "So, Keith? Whats up with you and Ann?" Lee asked me. "What? Nothing is up..." I said. "Yeah, sure." "NOTHINGS UP!" Lee sighed. "If you say so." He said, collapsing down, laying his head on my chest. "I love you like a brother, Keith, your the closes thing to family I've ever had." He said. "I think of you like a brother, too, Lee; Brothers don't leave there brothers, not now, not ever." I said. That much was true, heck, some might even say were closer than brothers. It'd be a long drive, we'd only took one horse, and the house was 30 some miles away. Waves of red lit the sky, the sun was setting, slowly becoming dimmer. 

"Nature's first green is gold, 
Her hardest hue to hold. 
Her early leaf's a flower; 
But only so an hour. 
Then leaf subsides to leaf. 
So Eden sank to grief, 
So dawn goes down to day. 
Nothing gold can stay."
Robert Frost


   
  CHAPTER I
    The cart continued its slow path home. Lee was sleeping like we had left, he'd fallen asleep a while back. I didn't know how I'd do this. I'd escape, with Lee. The bumpy cart would soon come to a stop, but for now, I was content. Unless... "Lee," I said, "Lee, wake up!" I said. "What? Where are we, Kei--" He said, before I jumped out of the slowly moving cart. I still held Lee's shirt, and he came tumbling onto me. "Fallow me, quick and quiet." I said, as we ran into woods. We ran for about a half an hour, until two things happened, we came across a small creek, and our legs couldn't carry us any longer. "Keith...I can't believe you did that..." Lee said, tears welling up inside of him. "You mean did that for you. Its like I said, your like a brother. I love you,like a brother. I'd never leave you." "I love you too, Keith." Lee said, starting to bawl. "Don't cry." I said, taking off the key master had given me, and throwing it. "Were together on this." I said. In retrospect, it wasn't the smartest thing to do, I'd think later, though I had no idea at that time. Soon enough Lee was asleep, curled up next to me, I meant what I said. I'd sooner die than see him die. Soon enough, the world faded away, and I fell asleep. 

    I woke to the smell of cooked goose. I was hungry. My eyes popped open and I saw a fire going, with Lee tending to it. There was, indeed, a goose being cooked. "Morning, Keith. Hungry?" He asked me. I nodded, and thought about asking him where he got it, but ended up forgetting, after all, Lee was a great hunter, and even better chef. I got up, and walked over to him. "Man, I can't believe you cooked this!" He nodded. Soon enough it was done, and it tasted amazing! "Lee, your a great cook. You really are." I said, honestly. Lee smiled at me, and said "Naw, I'm not." He said. He was humble to. It didn't matter if we were blood brothers, we were truly brothers. A crackle from the fire broke the silence. "Well, were gonna have to walk today, until we reach...well...I don't know where." I said. That much was true. It hadn't occurred to me where we would go.

    A muffled sound came from the bushes. Someone was watching us. Lee instantly registered the threat, the same as I did. I slowly moved forward; the sound of a bow stretching caught my attention. A thunk came from behind me. Lee. Laying on the ground. Clearly hit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment